Phoenix Pub and Restaurant, McMaster University
The existing Phoenix Restaurant/Pub at McMaster University has relocated to the Refectory Building, one of five historically designated Collegiate Gothic style brick and stone buildings located on the McMaster campus. The Refectory Building, originally opened in 1930, is historically designated to preserve all original exterior architectural materials and features as well as some interior elements such as the vaulted ceilings and woodwork. First used as a dining/refectory hall and, most recently, an exam writing hall, the interior of the building has been re-designed into the Phoenix Pub for the Graduate Students Association (GSA).
The scope of work associated with this project included a complete facility audit and review of all building systems as well as complete design services. MSA worked directly with the GSA and a kitchen consultant to develop a fully functioning kitchen and restaurant facility with a full seating capacity of 180 patrons. While respecting the originality of the heritage elements which could not be altered, our design infuses the space with a modern sensibility that students, professors, and staff can equally appreciate and enjoy for casual gatherings.
Award of Merit, Hamilton-Burlington Society of Architects (HBSA) Architectural Awards of Excellence
Award of Merit in Heritage Restoration, City of Hamilton Urban Design & Architecture Awards
Award of Merit in Restoration and Adaptive Reuse, ARIDO Awards